British & Commowealth heavyweight champion David Price said that he is “12 months or less” away from a fight with either of the Klitschko brothers today. Continue reading
On the back of a disappointing ‘Prizefighter: The Lightweights II’ display early in October, former British champion at 135lbs, Derry Mathews, is ready for a new challenge. Continue reading
Tony Bellew today told iFilm London of his readiness for Argentinean opponent Roberto Bolonti, 30-1, who he faces at the Capital FM Arena on Saturday night, when Carl Froch defends his IBF world super middleweight title against American Yusaf Mack, 31-4-2 (17).
Here, you can see the interviews conducted by Kugan Cassius (@KuganCassius) from iFilm at the final press conference with both Froch and Bellew. I’ve even been so kind as to put up the full final press conference.
Undisputed middleweight champion Sergio Martinez could, according to reports in St Helens, be the next opponent for Oliver Harrison-trained Martin Murray, providing he gets through his vacant WBA interim shot with Jorge Navarro, on November 30, with no problems.
The reports circulating suggest that, should Murray get a ‘W’ on his record against Navarro, he’ll travel to Argentina and face 37-year-old southpaw Martinez, 50-2-2 (28), on April 17, 2013.
30-year-old Murray has been left out of the boxing ring after seeing a series of big fights fall through. The former British and Commonwealth middleweight champ, 24-0-1 (10), has only boxed once since falling short in a challenge with German Felix Sturm, out in Germany, on December 2, 2011.
Paul Butler became British super flyweight champion last night when he delivered a devastating one-round stoppage win of John Donnelly.
A punishing left hook to the body saw the end of the main event after one minute and nine seconds of round one.
Liverpool lightweight Derry Mathews’ self-titled gym, the DM Fitness Centre, played host to the weigh-in for John Donnelly and Paul Butler’s fight for the British super flyweight title, today. Continue reading
32-year-old Liverpool light heavyweight Tony “Warrior” Dodson has announced that he, after nine months out of the ring following defeat to Ovill McKenzie in Manchester in February, will fight again on November 30 at Aintree. His opponent is, as yet, unnamed.
The card that Dodson, a former British champion, has been announced on will feature three title fights; Darren Hamilton will defend his British light welterweight belt against local boy Steve Williams in a contest over twelve rounds. Hamilton won the belt in May when he defeated Ashley “Treasure” Theophane on the same card as David Price boxed for – and won – the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles against Sam Sexton.
The aforementioned 29-year-old heavyweight, Price, is also in action, as he bids to defend his British belt for a second time. His first defence came at the expense of 41-year-old (then 40-year-old) Audley Harrison. He stopped Harrison, devastatingly, in 82 seconds at the ECHO Arena on October 13. Matt Skelton, a 45-year-old former world title challenger at heavyweight will be the man in the opposite corner on that night.
Skelton boxed on the same bill as Price at the ECHO Arena and defeated Jakov Gospic, a Croat, inside two rounds.
The final title fight so far announced on the Price/Skelton card at Aintree is a contest across ten rounds between Dillian Whyte and a former David Price victim John McDermott. They’ll battle it out for the vacant British Boxing Board of Control English heavyweight title.
The full undercard will be announced soon.
Tickets for ‘All Out War’ between Price and Skelton are available online from Frank Maloney Promotions at http://frankmaloney.com. Boxing will commence at around 5:50pm.